Sunday, May 27, 2012

Culture, Coffee, and Communication

Transitioning from American airports where I can read all of the instructions, directions, and signs to Panama has been an intimidating and enlightening experience. We arrived in Panama City yesterday afternoon, only to discover that you are forbidden to take pictures within the airport-I was reprimanded in a foreign language.. 

'Forbidden' photo of several of the ladies as we wait for customs.
You will have to forgive me for the quality; I had to take a picture of a picture. I forgot my camera cord. The Panamanian people are very open and are not afraid to do what they set out to do. During our tour of the city today I had the privilege of observing their community and living conditions; they certainly have a different culture than myself. I have begun to discover that not only do I notice their culture, but I am becoming significantly more self-aware of my own culture and traditions as well. The city has beggars; similar to America, old and young alike seeking for something to live on. There are different class statuses and different ways of dress and clothing. There are carts that sell hotdogs and carts that sell wonderful hand-made 'snow cones'! They do not call them snow cones, but they are a traditional drink that sells here in the city for 50 cents.
Myself and Brittany enjoying passionfruit and pineapple flavors!

We visited hand-craft markets throughout the city and I experienced another new portion of their culture; bartering. And I was pretty awful at it. In America the price tag is almost always the final say, but with the hand-craft markets here you are expected to barter. I successfully haggled off two dollars from a hand-stitched beauty.
My hand-stritched bird, and some amazing coffee!
Attending dinner tonight yet again opened my eyes to a new cultural experience. I am beginning to get the feeling that Panamanian culture is event-oriented instead of time-oriented. What a difference from the busy, precisely timed American way! We had 7:00pm dinner reservations and did not make it home until about 11:00pm. Wowzas. 

Overall, I am intimidated by not having a voice. By not understanding the language it is confusing, a little scary, and intimidating trying time and time again to communicate what I need to say [and being unable to say it]. I am looking forward to the challenge that Chiriqui will bring as we set off to begin the eight hour journey to the jungle tomorrow! Clinical begins soon, and I am intrigued to learn about the Panamanian culture in regards to healthcare. 

As a last thought, the coffee here is quite possibly the best I have ever had. If it is a large part of their culture, I look forward to drinking lots more of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment