Friday, June 15, 2012

A baby is born

At the hospital on Thursday, I was afforded the opportunity to spend time in Labor and Delivery.  From the moment we walked in, a young woman was crying.  I immediately walked over to hold her hand.  I asked her how old she was and whether this was her first pregnancy.  She is 20 and this was her second pregnancy.  She seemed very scared and nervous.  She told me she was in a lot of pain.  I didn't know what to do other than hold her hand and try to comfort her.  She gave birth to a healthy baby boy within about an hour.  I was able to hold her hand and stay with her the entire time.  After the doctor finished assessing the baby, I asked when the mother could hold him.  The doctor informed me that I could pick him up and give him to his mom immediately.  It was a very moving experience to hand a newborn baby to his mother for the first time. The mother informed me that her first child had passed away.  At that point, my heart broke for her and I understood the level of fear she was experiencing during labor.  I tried to reassure her that her son was healthy and everything was fine.  Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in Spanish.  Dr. Cadena asked Jessi to assist us in explaining to her that her son was fine. I asked her permission to have a photograph with her and her son and she agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment