Monday, June 11, 2012

Chami Blog 2





As I started my first week at the Chami clinic, I didn’t know what to expect.  Upon my first impression, I couldn’t believe how outdated the rooms and equipment were.  However, after working at the clinic for one week, I was impressed at how efficient and organized the clinic ran.  Since they don’t use computers, they only rely on paper medical charts.  

I had the pleasure of working the nurses, nursing technicians, and doctors.  When working with the nurses, I gave immunization shots including the flu and the MMR.  I also gave the polio vaccine orally. Not only did I give immunizations to adults, but I also learned how to give them to children and infants.  It was surprising to see the majority of children remain calm when getting a shot.  When I was child, I ran away from the doctor once I saw a needle.  I also performed a pap smear with one of my colleagues.  I had to be very careful when putting on gloves for this procedure because they didn’t have my size.  Fortunately, I replaced one my ripped gloves prior to the procedure. When working with the doctor, I learned how to do a breast exam.  This patient came to the clinic because she had skin problems on her arms.  However, she lives far away and doesn’t come to the clinic often.  Therefore, we did a head to toe assessment including the breast exam. 

The nurses in my clinic play a very large role in the community.  One of the most important preventive measures nurses take is keeping vaccinations up to date.  Another important role community nurses include being an advocate and a role model.  Because of the lack of resources and health professionals in the area, they have a very large responsibility for the community.  When going on community walks, I was shocked to see how many residents have index cards with all of their current vaccinations.  I have been very fortunate to work with a great team in Chami.  The entire staff here has been very patient and helpful in teaching us about their culture and how their clinic operates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment