Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Blog #3

This is Blog #3.  So far I have had a wonderful experience. You really have to understand the culture to get the most from this Panama experience. I have found it easy to communicate with the Nove people. As long has you are polite and respectful they are willing to open-up. I have learned that some of the women have so many children because of their religion. They know of the resources that are available to them in the clinic to prevent pregnancies, but they are willing to accept all the children God sends them.  In addition, the majority of women with small children believe that if they breastfeed they will not get pregnant. 

I have see that the role of the nurse is to get to know the patient and educate them in areas that are needed. For example, the majority of children have respiratory problems, therefore they are warned not to cook inside the home with fire wood. Some of the nurses know how to speak their language enough to communicate, which allows them to give better care.

While in the clinic I was able to observe the birth of a baby girl. I was shocked to hear the nurse tell the patient during delivery "There will be no screaming or crying". Immediately the 21 year old female stopped crying. Once the infant was born the mother had no facial emotions. The women are very shy and quite, but once they feel comfortable they do talk more.  In addition, I gave a pap smear, injections, depo shots, physical assessments, and much more.  One of my favorite things was when I gave a one month year old her first assessment to make sure she was developing properly. Over all it has been a wonderful experience that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment