Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vaccinations, anyone?

Giving vaccinations at the school.
While healthcare at the Soloy clinic may lack compared to the U.S., one thing they excel in are vaccinations. Each and every day we have administered a plethora of vaccinations. The community nurses even go door to door updating immunizations. Not your typical knock-at-the-door in America, but here it is normal. It is one thing they are very proud of, and rightfully so. Panamanians are all about the prevention of disease and the promotion of health. This is where the community nurses come in. They play a huge role in keeping the citizens healthy by making trips to the community, going door to door asking how everyone is feeling, if they're having any issues and offering care, education and resources. The work they do is very effective and impressive.
Visiting the community!

Want to hear something else that is impressive? I can now successfully say, "Hello," "How are you," "What is your name, my name is...," "Sorry," "Thank you," "You're welcome," "Goodbye," "Vaccinations," and more in SPANISH! Okay, so maybe that's not so impressive...but it's a step up from just smiling while coming at them with a needle. Expanding my speaking skills has allowed me to communicate with my patients on a very basic level. It has also made me more culturally competent as a nurse. When I return to the United States and have patients who speak other languages, I will know how it feels to be lost and confused. This experience will have taught me to have patience and provide resources in their language as well as a translator. This experience has also increased my cultural competence by opening my eyes to many different beliefs and alternative medicines. Sometimes, we as humans, have a hard time being open-minded. We like to think we know best and there is only one right way. The sooner we can stop thinking like that, the better. I am more willing to see other perspectives and collaborate our methods and ideas to create the best outcomes for the patient.

The coolest thing I did this week? (Warning: what nurses and doctors consider "cool" may be different from the normal person.) I got to assess a woman in labor and measure how dilated her cervix was. Upon assessment I was able to feel the baby's head with my fingers. It further solidified the miracle of a child.
Breakfast at the hostel In Boquete

This weekend we are in Boquete for a relaxing getaway! The hostel is more like a serene bed and breakfast surrounded by mountains, volcanoes and rain forest. We spent the day today "cliff" jumping into a river in the mountains. It was amazing! Looking forward to exploring the town and zip lining tomorrow!

The river rapids!

No comments:

Post a Comment