Sunday, June 3, 2012

My trip to the ER (and receiving cultural competent health care)


Blog #2
6/3/12

Hello there, again!

It is so nice to relax on the weekends and “sleep in” if I can consider 7am sleeping in (well, that is my normal waking up time at least). We have had a jam packed first week! I have experienced every emotion possible within this first week of being in San Felix. Although this is long, read the entire thing. It may change your life; the story I have to share changed mine.

First, there are a few things that have become mundane over this period of time and I don’t see changing throughout the remainder of it. Not saying they are negative things, just things that will help shape a visual of our time here. Also a few things that stand out to me:

·      There is no HIPAA- and if there were, we would be violating a lot! We have been able to take pictures of pretty much whatever we want along with other things that would be a big “no-no” in the U.S. 

·      Nurses don’t wear gloves when giving immunizations.

·      Panamanian time is a real thing. Time is more of a (really) rough estimate of when you should be somewhere/ how long something will take. This does not include opening/ closing times.

·      It rains. A lot. Hard. There will be a car alarm sounding with any storm. Speaking of alarms, the roosters are ideal alarm clocks.

·      Every night it is very important to wipe the bugs off of the bed before you crawl in. The use of a computer when the lights are out is very dangerous. Without a doubt, you will make friends with bugs.

·     

     Meals consist of carbohydrates (usually rice) and a type 
     of meat (usually chicken). Vegetables are rare. Fruits are mainly for juices unless it is a plantain. In that case, it is fried and served as a side. Mmmmh J YUM! Oh, and a potato salad is a salad?



· A loud bang in the middle of the night is nothing more than fruit falling off of the tree onto the metal roof. 
      Some of the most flavorful and largest mangos I have ever had were obtained this way!

·      Showers will be cold. These are very refreshing when timed after a run. This is probably something that I will continue to do in the US.

·      Bug spray should be applied after waking up and following a shower.

·      Walking. Life is exercise. We have gotten funny looks while on jogs.

·      Asking someone to translate. Any and everything. I am surprised that the students who speak Spanish still hang around me and comply with my requests. Thank god though, I am knocking on wood this doesn’t change. Signing and gestures are good alternatives when all else fails.

·      The beaches have black sand. I have never seen this before. They are beautiful; our beach day was much needed! 



       
         I would like to next touch on Cultural Competency. I was debating discussing this in a blog for everyone to see (partly out of embarrassment) but I think that it is something VERY important that everyone going into the Nursing field can learn from. Everyone makes mistakes. As a nurse, it is important to find the middle ground between being efficient and taking the time to protect yourself. Making time for ourselves is even something that many of us struggle with in every day life. In the grand scheme of things, life is to be taken moment by moment. You will never get back the time, experiences, or opportunities. Take them. Appreciate them. Some minute mistakes may rob you of time, experiences, opportunities and even a life you may have had otherwise.


Personal protection and slowing down to enjoy life are two big focuses in my life at the moment. I was made aware of how much I lacked proficiency in both the hard way. For the purposes of this blog, I want to discuss the first.

One of the days during our community clinical experience, my group went to the school to give immunizations. The six USF CON students assigned to the Chami area gave the immunizations while the other clinic workers and Jessica (our instructor) did the paperwork. The entire school was lined up before us for flu shots throughout the several hours we were there. This equated to about 400 flu shots to be administered to around 400 elementary- aged students and staff. This was a great opportunity for practice, regardless of how overwhelming and hot it was.

We successfully administered the flu shots for the first few hours. As mentioned earlier, we did not wear gloves and there were no pre-moistened alcohol swabs. Instead, we used cotton balls saturated with alcohol. There were also a few differences in IM injection procedure that the nurses were adamant that we practiced. Instead of holding the skin taught for a z-track (as we were taught), the nurses insisted that we pinched the skin, including the muscle. We also were to recap the needles. As you may know, this is a huge hazard and one reason that most U.S. (if not all) health care providers now use needles that have safety caps.



As time went on, the task became more repetitious. It seemed as if the lines of students never shortened. Shot after shot, we pinched the skin, cleaned the area, injected the vaccine, applied a cotton ball for blood, recapped the needle, and disposed of it in the hazard box. Then it happened. After giving a little girl (no older than 7) her flu shot, I went to recap the needle, piercing my thumb instead. My first reaction was to grab an alcohol soaked cotton ball and apply it to my thumb. Realizing what could happen as a result of this incident and affect me from that point forward, I got nauseas and my face went white. I then lost it.

After informing Jessica, she walked me back to the clinic at Chami. We then went to the ER in San Felix to receive prophylactics as a precaution. I won’t go into many more details. However, I would like to note here that you should ALWAYS report such an incident, as embarrassing or as dumb as you may feel. Believe me, I was imbued with both of these emotions alternating with surges of fear. Be responsible. Mistakes happen. It is how they are handled.

There are a lot more things that I could describe about this experience and the processes that were taken in precaution. The most important thing is that my blood tests came back negative for everything. However, I am not walking away with nothing. I am walking away with a new perception on priorities and precautions. This is true both in my future as a health care provider and my personal life, as mentioned previously.

Relating to cultural competency, there are also a few other things I would like to mention before closing. I never took to heart how important mastering the skills of a culturally competent nurse was until I myself was a patient in a foreign country. I speak next to no Spanish and my nurses and Doctor spoke no English. Nonetheless, their mastery of cultural competency skills comforted me and ultimately relieved me of the worry associated with this needle-stick. In the Chami clinic (my first stop), the nurse used gestures to help calm me down. She helped me with deep breathing as I was close to an anxiety attack. She also used demonstration to show me how the odds were in my favor for how little blood could be exchanged in such a prick. She also was able to assure me (with a little translation assistance from Jessica) that the girl’s young age was another factor to my benefit and that this particular indigenous community had a low rate of HIV/AIDS. The doctor at the hospital, much the same, was very caring and patient. He even used humor to shake my fear and anxiety about the situation.















In context of this course, there are 8 special attributes that culturally competent nurses possess. My nurse at the Chami clinic had a very strong sense of population consciousness. She knew about the trends of the indigenous community concerning infection rates and how mothers in the community were checked before birth. She also excelled in creativity. She was able to communicate with me through a warm touch, gestures, and demonstration, breaking the language barrier that would have restricted her ability to care for me.

Overall, this experience gave me a completely new outlook on cultural competency. I have such respect for the health care providers that I encountered in Panama and helped me through this traumatic experience.

Additionally, I hope that me sharing this story encourages you to challenge yourself to master cultural competency skills. Coming first hand, it is scary. You can’t judge a patient for not knowing the primary language of your country because you do not know his or her situation. Accordingly, you cannot let this be a boundary for maximal care.

I also want to highlight that YOUR safety is first. ALWAYS. You are educated to perform procedures a certain way because it is best practice. No matter where you are or the time constraints, try and implement these best practice procedures. Share the different methods with colleagues without imposing. Maybe you can prevent something from happening to them.

My trip to Panama has been such a life-changing experience already. I can’t believe it has only been a week.

Thank you for reading,
Chanel



No comments:

Post a Comment