Saturday, June 2, 2012

No habla... wait... how do I say that again?


5/28/12

Hola from Panama!

I’ll go ahead and admit from the start that not knowing Spanish has been one of my biggest struggles! It is day three and I have picked up a few phrases that I have needed often:

1)                   “lo siento:” this came in handy when Kelsey accidently hit the light switch in the Women’s restroom (bano) upon arriving to the Panama airport. With a line out the door, the lights went off and we were apologizing to a lot of confused faces. I can sadly say that this isn’t the only time this was a crucial phrase. I could not say it enough when I was in the marketplace. I was looking at a satchel and touched it- really merely a touch- and the “wall-like structure” fell… agh… Lo siento? … no bueno…
2)                   “no gracias:” The Panamanians in general have a culture that includes hospitality and a warm heart. However, some thrive off of tourism. To some people in the various markets we have visited, you really can NOT say “no gracias” enough!
3)                   And…  “no habla espanol:” enough said… as if my blank face doesn’t say enough.
4)                   I’ve also learned a few odd ends- alto (stop- it is on every stop sign, it was inevitable), goma (gum), manzana (apple- could live off of these), and autobus (bus- wooo).

Thank god for Kelsey, my personal translator, roommate, and seat companion! I have really enjoyed getting to know a lot of the people on the trip better! I always see them in the gathering space and classrooms but, quite honestly, I couldn’t tell you most of their names. After formally meeting and bonding (and continue to bond) with my fellow colleagues (as Dr. Cadena would say), this trip was more than worth it before even getting into the jungle!

I guess I should stop rambling about my American ignorance and hit on my trip some, after all, it is why you are reading this blog! I have absolutely loved it here so far!

First, I love the colors! Everything is so bright and lively, from the food to the buildings, music, artwork and even buses. This alone says a lot about the Panamanians. They appreciate and embellish what they have. Not much goes to waste. I really respect and even envy their lifestyle. It doesn’t matter to them that they don’t have the latest models of cars, constant air conditioning, or even always food. They are just happy to be alive. This may be due to them knowing nothing else, but regardless, we who have it all really don’t appreciate life like many of the people I have encountered here do. As we move farther into the jungle, I expect this to be even truer. A simple life is a happy life; it is all about the perspective.

It seems as if my thought process is leading me to blog in order of importance rather than chronologically. Pardon (excuse me) if I am hard to follow due to this. This being said, next in importance after my struggle with the language and my admiration of their colorful lifestyle comes the coffee! Oh my goodness. I thought I was obsessed with coffee in the United States. No, the coffee here is amazing. It is called Duran Café Duro; it is the smoothest coffee I have ever tasted yet still strong. I would love to just fill a pool with it and stick a straw in!



Now that the important things are covered, here are a few of my thoughts from playing  “American tourist” in the Old City. The city is very eclectic. The buildings of every different color, style, and condition line very narrow streets! Music fills the streets from random open doors belonging to whichever Panamanian  has decided to play DJ for that time being, We first visited an old church. I was surprised that pictures were freely allowed in any part of the church. There were also several beggars who crowded around the vicinity and young children selling postcards. It seems as if this historic church is primarily for tourism and profit now than for worship. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful church with a lot of history unknown and unappreciated by I am sure many who visit. 

Walking down the street, it was evident that much of the area was under construction, including the heart of the city near the French embassy. Over the past decade, the rule of Panama has exchanged several different powers. This accounts for the varied building styles. It also accounts for the many abandoned buildings. Many homeless families have taken advantage of this across the years and resided in these abandoned homes. In order for these homes to be reconstructed and once again habitable by paying residences, these people must be relocated. Rather than kicking the current residents, otherwise homeless, families from the abandoned settlements, out, the government must abide by policy. According to Panamanian policy, the government cannot force anyone to be homeless. Thus, the government has to pay these people to compensate them for their loss of housing that they never owned so that they can pay rent elsewhere. This is incredible to me! It makes me respect their government and sense of unity even more.

Our next stop was the Panama Canal Miraflora Locks where there is also a museum. It is amazing to me that the lock system that they were using current day is the exact same system used when the canal construction was finished in 1914. The Panamanians are currently working on an expansion project to expand the size of the locks so that larger ships can pass through the canal. This project is to be complete by the 100th year anniversary of the canal in 2014. The Panama Canal in general is an amazing sight. I am awe-struck how so many individuals came together and dedicated their lives to the planning, construction, and administration of the canal. I think that the video presented in the museum did not (and probably could not) emphasize enough the struggles that these individuals had to overcome, not only to build the canal but on agreeing on the different processes used and even who oversaw the project. The fact that the canal was completed and still in such great condition today should be a wonder of the world!


Currently we are partaking on our eight-hour bus ride into the jungle! I am very excited for this portion of the trip, as I should for this is why we are here! Panama is beautiful with it’s mountainous terrain and winding roads. Leaving off where I started, I love it here and I can only see my love for the country and people grow as my exposure to both increase.

-Chanel 

No comments:

Post a Comment